The Helping You Move Team, Betty Cannon 334-224-8311 and Cheryl Ashurst 334-224-8222

Buyers Blog     Sellers Blog     Newsletter

Buying Selling Relocating Search Montgomery MLS Homes for Sale New Homes For Sale Search USA Homes
Newcomer’s Guide – FAQs About Moving To Our City

How do I get an Alabama automobile tag and title?
How do I get an Alabama drivers license?
How do I get an Alabama boating license?
How do I register to vote?
How do I hook up my utilities?
How do I transfer my child to a public school in your area?
What do I need to do to get married in Montgomery?
Helpful Moving Tips
Montgomery AL - Capitol City of Dreams - Video Tour

Moving to the Montgomery or the tri-county area? Here’s our quick list of answers to frequent questions from folks moving to Montgomery and the tri-county area.

How Do I Get An Alabama Automobile Tag And Title?
You will need to get an Alabama tag and title within 30 days of your arrival to Montgomery and the tri-county area when you come from another state. Tags may be purchased in the Commissioner of License Office in the Courthouse or one of the satellite offices. Call for information on what you will need to bring:

Montgomery County
Commissioner of Licenses

100 S, Lawrence Street
Courthouse Annex
(334) 832-1233
  Satellite Offices
3032 Woodley Road
Capitol Plaza
(334) 281-9999
5340-A Atlanta Highway
Eastmont Plaza Shopping Center
(334) 272-8505

back to top

HR_color_w450.gif (3098 bytes)

How Do I Get An Alabama Driver's License?
Just like your tags, you’ll need to secure your Alabama Drivers License 30 days of your arrival to Montgomery and the tri-county area from another state. Driver's licenses are available from the driver's license examiner's office. If you have a valid out-or-state driver's license, you will only be required to take an eye exam. The cost for the out-of-state transfer fee is $5.00 cash (NOTE: These requirements are for a regular Class D license only.) If you do not have a valid out-of-state license, you are required to take a written exam and road test as well as the eye exam. The cost of a new license/renewal is $20.00.

100 S, Lawrence Street
Courthouse Annex
(334) 832-1233
  Driver's License Examiner's Office
1040 Coliseum Boulevard
(334) 272-8868

back to top

HR_color_w450.gif (3098 bytes)

How Do I Get An Alabama Boat/Vessel Registration?
Alabama does require a license to operate a boat or vessel. For information on licensing requirements and fees for Boat and Vessel registration you may call or visit one of the offices listed above under Driver's License & Vehicle Registration/Tags.

back to top

HR_color_w450.gif (3098 bytes)

How Do I Register To Vote?
Remembering to register to vote in your new community is important. If you are 18, mentally sound, and not under conviction for a felony, you can register to vote at the Voter’s Registration Office. Voter registration must be completed at the County Courthouse 10 days before any election. Special assistance for people with disabilities is available. For more information or to register, contact the following:

Board of Registrars
Montgomery Count Administrative Building
100 S. Lawrence Street
Montgomery, AL 36104
(334) 832-1215

back to top

HR_color_w450.gif (3098 bytes)

How Do I Hook Up My Utilities?

Alabama Power Company
200 Dexter Avenue
Montgomery, AL 36104
Central Alabama Electric Cooperative
1802 U.S. Highway 31 North
Prattville, AL 36006
Dixie Electric Cooperative
9100 Atlanta Hwy -or-
10613 Troy Hwy
(334) 288-1163
235 Lee Street
Montgomery, AL 36104
(334) 263-2341
1 Court Square, Suite 118
Montgomery, AL 36104
Residential Customers:
Business Customers:
Knology of Montgomery
3173 Taylor Road
Montgomery, AL 36116
(334) 356-1000
Charter Communications
5990 S. Monticello
Montgomery, AL 36117
Charter Communications
5990 S. Monticello
Montgomery, AL 36117
Knology of Montgomery
3173 Taylor Road
Montgomery, AL 36116
(334) 356-1000
Bright House Networks
3996 US Hwy 231
Wetumpka, AL 36092
(334) 567-4344 or 1-800-822-0600
Montgomery Water Works & Sewer
22 Bibb Street
Montgomery, AL 36104
(334) 206-1600
Water & Sewer (Prattville)
114 E. Main Street
Prattville, AL 36066
(334) 365-6783
Water & Sewer (Millbrook)
2630 Main Street
Millbrook, AL 36054
(334) 285-4267
Wetumpka Water Works & Sewer
2909 Elmore Road
Wetumpka, AL 36092
(334) 567-8404
Central Elmore Water Works
716 US Hwy 231
Wetumpka, AL 36093
(334) 567-6814
Waste Management
2810 Day Street
Montgomery, AL 36106
(334) 265-8542 or 1-800-333-7704

back to top

HR_color_w450.gif (3098 bytes)

How Do I Transfer My Child To A Public School In Your Area?

To register a child in local public scholls, the following is needed:

* Proof of residence
* Social Security cards for the child
* An Alabama immunization certificate
* An official copy of the birth certificate
* A child must be 5 (for kindergarten) or 6 (for first grade) on or before September 2.

Montgomery County
Autauga County
Elmore County

HR_color_w450.gif (3098 bytes)

I Am Getting Married In Montgomery. What Do I Need To Do?
Both people getting married will need to go to Montgomery County Probate Office in the Montgomery County Courthouse. The minimum age is 18 years; men and women age 14-17 must have written parental consent and both parents must be present. You will need to bring some form of identification (drivers license, military id, passport, birth certificate or social security card). If you have been married before, you will need to bring your divorce degree. Blood tests are not required. The cost of the license is $40.00. The license, issued the same day, is valid for 30 days in any county within the state of Alabama.

Courthouse weddings can be arranged by calling 832-1244 for an appointment. The cost is $25.00 for the ceremony and $2.00 for the certificate. This is in addition to the license fee. Marriage Licenses may be obtained at the following location:

Montgomery County Probate Office
Montgomery County Courthouse
100 S. Lawrence Street
Montgomery, AL 36104
(334) 832-1235

Helpful Moving Tips:

  • Post Office Online Change of Address Form and movers guide with coupons
  • Moving Tips and Schedules
  • Moving with Children
  • Moving with Your Pets - Great moving tips for all your animals!

    back to top

    HR_color_w450.gif (3098 bytes)

    || Home | Preferred Buyer Program | Homes For Sale In Montgomery Area | Relocation | RE/MAX International | E-mail Us ||
    || Montgomery, Alabama-Newcomer's Guide | How To Sell Your Home Faster | Moving Tips | What's a Miracle Home ||1pixel.gif (43 bytes)

    Best real estate agent with homes for sale in Montgomery AL

    4215 Carmichael Rd. Montgomery, AL 36106
    Buyers Specialist:  Betty Cannon, 334-224-8311

    Sellers Specialist:  Cheryl Ashurst, 334-224-8222

    Best real estate agents in Montgomery AL

    REMAX homes for sale Montgomery AL
    All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified.

    Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
                                                                                                                                        Ecclesiastes 4:12

    The best real estate agents to help you move your home whether you are Buying, Selling, Building and Relocating in Alabama-Montgomery, Prattville, Millbrook, Wetumpka, Lake Martin, Lake Jordan, Montgomery county, Elmore county, Autauga county